Article 263-274 Uganda Constitution 1995
Table of Contents
Article 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, and 274 of the Uganda Constitution 1995, with others, are under Chapter 19 of the Constitution. Chapter 19 is titled ‘Transitional Provisions‘.
Article 263 Uganda Constitution 1995
Article 264 Uganda Constitution 1995
Particular functions of transitional Government
Article 265 Uganda Constitution
Existing courts of judicature
Article 266 Uganda Constitution
Existing offices of judges
Article 267 Uganda Constitution
Interim membership of Court of Appeal
Article 268 Uganda Constitution
(1) Subject to the provisions of this article, every person who immediately before the coming into force of this Constitution held or was acting in any office established by or by virtue of the Constitution then in force, so far as is consistent with the provisions of this Constitution, shall be taken to have been appointed as from the coming into force of this Constitution, to hold or to act in the equivalent office under this Constitution.
(2) The provisions of this article shall not prejudice any powers conferred by or under this Constitution or any other law on any person or authority to make provision for the abolition of office, or for the removal from office of persons holding or acting in any office and for requiring persons to retire from office.
(3) In determining, for the purpose of any law relating to retirement benefits or otherwise, the length of service of a public officer to whom clause (1) of this article applies, service as a public officer under the Government in existence immediately before the coming into force of this Constitution shall be deemed to be continuous with service as a public officer which begins immediately after the coming into force of this Constitution.
(4) Except as otherwise provided in this Constitution, the terms and conditions of service of a person to whom this article applies shall not be less favourable than those applicable to that person immediately before the coming into force of this Constitution.
(5) For the avoidance of doubt, it is declared that any office established before the coming into force of this Constitution which is inconsistent with any provision of this Constitution is, on the coming into force of this Constitution, abolished.
Article 269 Uganda Constitution
Regulation of political organisations
Article 270 Uganda Constitution
Existing political parties or organisations
Article 271 Uganda Constitution
Article 272 Uganda Constitution
Appointment to certain offices
Article 273 Uganda Constitution
(1) Subject to the provisions of this article, the operation of the existing law after the coming into force of this Constitution shall not be affected by the coming into force of this Constitution but the existing law shall be construed with such modifications, adaptations, qualifications and exceptions as may be necessary to bring it into conformity with this Constitution.
(2) For the purposes of this article, the expression “existing law” means the written and unwritten law of Uganda or any part of it as existed immediately before the coming into force of this Constitution, including any Act of Parliament or Statute or statutory instrument enacted or made before that date which is to come into force on or after that date.
Article 274 Uganda Constitution
Modification of existing law by first President